Obituaries for Surnames Beginning With "H"
Wabasha County, Minnesota

Louisa Hampe
Mrs. Edward Harazak
Paul A. Herrmann
John J. Howe
Aaron G. Hudson
Mrs. Hannah Hudson

Answers the Final Summons
After Having Attained the Ripe Old Age of Four Score and One years.

Photo courtesy of Jessie Berg, Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness volunteer

Although the closing of his life was not an altogether unexpected event among his more intimate friends, yet there are scores of his friends and acquaintances in the wider field who will be surprised as well as saddened to hear of the death of Aaron G. Hudson, which occurred on Tuesday, July 7th, 1903. Mr. Hudson had been out of health for the past two or three years, and his death was the result, largely, of the infirmities incident to the aged. The deceased was a man who has filled a prominent niche in the history of this community; he was universally respected and was greatly beloved by a large circle of citizens who knew him best. He was a frank, straightforward, open-hearted and open-handed character ~ a man of strong opinions, and one who never feared to express them. The writer hereof had known Mr. Hudson more or less intimately for a number of years, and as the writer regarded him, so it is presumed he was generally esteemed. A ma of mark and ability, and one, whom to meet, was always sure to leave a pleasant memory in one's mind. He was, in short, a namely man, and a man of strong and honest convictions, whose death will leave a very noticeable void in the body of our respectable and esteemed citizenship. To add more would only be superfluous. He was a man and a gentleman, and an honor to the community in which he has lived and labored to build up, for lo, these forty-seven years past.

Had Aaron G. Hudson lived 19 days longer, he would have been 81 years of age, having been born in New York state, on July 26th, 1822. He was married March 15th, 1847, to Miss Hannah Sutherland at the home of her parents in New York. Mr. Hudson had lived with his wife's father, Lewis Sutherland, since March 9th, 1881. In the spring of 1844 he made a trip to Michigan, where he spent a year, returning to New York in the spring of 1845. Upon his marriage to Miss Sutherland, in 1847, the young couple moved to Michigan to carve out a life for themselves. After even or eight years' residence in that state, the joined the tide of emigration which then swept still westward, and, in August, 1855, landed at Florence, Goodhue county, territory of Minnesota ~ Florence is a hamlet only three miles up-river from Lake City, but over the Wabasha county line, in Goodhue county. Mr. Hudson at once took a prominent part in the political activities of his county and of the Territory. He was a member of the convention which was called in 1857 for the purpose of framing a constitution for Minnesota as a state ~ statehood being granted by congress the following year, 1959. He was next honored by the citizens of Goodhue county, by being elected a member of the first state senate, which position he honorably filed, in return, in the sessions of the legislature for 1957 and 1858. Later, he settled on a fine farm in Gilbert Valley, Wabasha county ~ four or five miles from Lake City. In this county he was again called to serve the public in the position of county superintendent of schools, which position he filled with marked ability and energy from 1874 to 1878, inclusive. In 1880 (Sept. 28), he moved to Lake City, where he had enjoyed a well-earned rest ~ with books largely as his companions ~ up to the time of his death. He leaves, to mourn his death as a kind father, two children and six grandchildren, the former being Lewis P. Hudson, a resident of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Territory, and Mrs. Granville Clark, of Sugar Loaf Valley, near Lake City. The funeral took place from his late residence in upper town on Friday, July 10th, at 2 p.m., Rev. C. H. Plummer, rector of St. Mark's Episcopal church, officiating. The remains were followed to Lakewood cemetery by a large concourse of friends and citizens, who thus testified to their love and respect for their late fellow citizen and friend.

Source: Lake City Republican, July 11, 1903
Contributed by:
Lora Hudson Treadwell.

Enters Unto Rest After a Long and Useful Life

Photo courtesy of Jessie Berg, Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness volunteer

The subject of this sketch, the beloved wife of Aaron G. Hudson, first saw the light of day in Saratoga County, New York, on the 22nd day of November, 1815, and was, therefore, at the time of her decease, eighty-five years, four months, and nine days old. Her demise was simply the fulfilling of the inexorable laws of nature. No desease or malady afflicted her, but her physical body gradually lost its strength and faded away as the last sweet flower of summer, when it has given its full bloom to the passing winds, and obeys the unchangeable law. For some time her strength had waned, and the loved ones about her, with pain in their hearts, strove, in vain, to further prolong the thread of life, and the last breath was peacefully drawn on Sunday morning, March 31st, at 11:00 o'clock.

Mr. and Mrs. Hudson were married in Saratoga County, New York, March 15th, 1847, and, like many a young and ambitious couple, sought the growing West, as the chosen scene of their life work. After living several years at Battle Creek, Mich., they came to Minnesota, in [unreadable] and settled at the present site of the Town of Florence, where Mr. Hudson kept a general store for some years, removing to Rochester, in this state, January 1, 1865 where he had a general store. In the winter of 1866 they removed to Lake City and Mr. Hudson had charge of H. F. Williamson's store. In 1868 Mrs. Hudson moved to the Town of Mt. Pleasant where they had a farm, and managed the place for two years, when her husband relinquished his mercantile pursuits and joined her on the farm. Aboutseventeen years ago they retired from active labor and have made their home in Lake City during that time. A remarkable incident in the life of this worthy couple is the fact that when Mr. Hudson was nine years of age he went to live with his wife's family, so that they have known each other for more than seventy years and during all that time have lived in the same home. Hers was a peculiarly sweet and loving disposition, so much so that her bereaved mate can now truthfully say that he can not recall a single harsh word toward him that ever passed her lips or a single unkind act that has marred the serenity of her noble life. He has the hearfelt sympathy of the entire community in his bereavement.

Besides a husband, Mrs. Hudson is survived by two children ~ one son and one daughter ~ Louis P. Hudson, who resides in Oklahoma, and Mrs. Addie G. Clark, of Sugar Loaf Valley. She is also survived by six grandchildren. The funeral services were held on Wednesday afternoon, at two o'clock, Rev. C. H. Plummer officiating.

Source: Lake City Republican Sat. April 6, 1901
Contributed by:
Lora Hudson Treadwell.

Contributed by
Source: Newspaper Clipping

Last Rites Held for Mrs. Louisa Hampe, 84
At St Joseph's Church, Theilman Monday; Death Occurred At Hospital Friday

Funeral services were held at ten o'clock Monday morning, April 3, at St Joseph's church, Theilman for Mrs Louisa Hampe who passed away at St Elizabeth's hospital, at three o'clock Friday morning, March 31. Cerebral Hemorrhage was the cause of death. Mrs Hampe had been ill the past eight days. She had made her home at the hospital since her husband's death three years ago.

Louisa Riester was born in West Albany township May 12, 1866 and spent her childhood days there. She taught school for two years at Mantador, North Dakota and resided in Chicago during the years 1892 and 1893. On June 1899 at St Patrick's church, West Albany, she married Theodore Hampe and they made their home in Theilman. Mr Hampe died April 15, 1947.

Mrs Hampe was president of the former woman's club at Theilman, active in Red Cross and church work. She was a member of the Catholic Daughters of America, Plainview.

The funeral services were conducted by Fr Leo Neudecker and burial was in St Peter and Paul's cemetery, Conception. Pall bearers were Lloyd Meyer, Julius Mischke, Donald Sommers, William Wallerich, George Wilson and Frank Evers.

Survivors are three sons, William G Hampe of Veterans Hospital at St Cloud; Albert E Hampe of Theilman and Walter Hampe of La Crosse, Wisconsin. She also leaves four grandchildren, and one sister, Mrs Clementine Hampe of Rock Rapids, Iowa.

Out of town persons attending the funeral were Mr and Mrs Walter Hampe and son, William of La Crosse; J P Bouquet and daughters, Thedora and Evelyn of Caledonia; H T Hampe, Sue City, Louisiana; Paul and Bertha Hampe of Rock Rapids, Iowa; Dr and Mrs C G Ochaner and Dr and Mrs B J Bouquet of Wabasha and Victor Bouquet of Lake City.

Source: Wabasha County Harold-Standard, Friday, April 7, 1950, page 1, column 3
Contributed by:


John J Howe, a life-long resident of the Kellogg area, died at St. Elizabeth's Hospital Sunday afternoon at 3:10 o'clock. Mr. Howe was 57 years of age. Death was caused by a series of complications. Mr. Howe was ill one month.

Mr. Howe was born in Glasgow township July16, 1882, the son of Mr. and Mrs Jacob Howe. His early childhood days were spent at the Glasgow home and around Kellogg. There were five children in the Howe family.

In later life he became associated with his brother, Frank, in the implement business at Kellogg, which was known as the firm of Howe Brothers.

Mr. Howe is survived by three brothers and two sisters. the brothers are Frank, Andrew, and Edward, all of Kellogg, and the sisters are Mrs. Bart Schouweiler (Mathilda) and Mrs. J. C. Black (Appolonia) also of Kellogg.

Mr. Howe's father, Jacob Howe, died November 24, 1932 and his mother January 10, 1936. John Howe never married.

Funeral services were conducted Wednesday morning from the St. Agnes Catholic church, Kellogg, with the Rev. Leo Neudecker officiating. Burial was made in St. Agnes cemetery

Contributed by
Source: From Grandma Marking's Newspaper clippings, misc file H

Mrs. Edward Harazak

Wabasha, Minnesota - Mrs. Edward Louise Harazak, 66, Waukegan, Ill, who formerly lived in Wabasha, died Wednesday at her home there.

She was born July 29, 1913, in Wabasha to T.H. and Christine Schmidt Passe. In 1933 she married Harry Berg in Wabasha. The couple moved to Waukegan in 1941 and he died in 1959. In 1969, she married Edward Harazak, who survives in Waukegan.

Other survivors are: one son, LeRoy Berg, Zion, Il; two brothers, Joseph Passe, Wabasha, and Herbert Passe, Hobart, Ind.; two sisters, Mrs. Marie Reck, Livermore, Calif., and Mrs. Julia Rauchmann, Wabasha; three grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

Two brothers and one sister have died.

The Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Felix Catholic church, Wabasha, the Rev. Patrick Lawler officiating. Burial will be in St. Mary's Cemetery, Lake City, Minn.

Friends may call after 7 p.m. Friday, at the Abbott-Wise Funeral Home, Wabasha, until the time of services. A Rosary will be said at the funeral home at 8 pm.m Friday.

Contributed by
Source: From grandma Marking's newspaper clippings, misc file H, Winona Daily News, July 10, 1980